Unintentional living and identity building look like this:
- Actions are inspired by pain and pleasure.
- Repeated pain and pleasure lead to repeated actions.
- Repeated actions lead to habits.
- Habits shape your identity.
“Life made me who I am, and I can’t do anything about it.”
Intentional living and identity building look like this:
- Who do I want to be? What’s my desired identity?
- Which habits that would turn me into that person do I not have in place right now?
- Which repeated actions that would build that habit am I not currently taking?
- Which reactions to pain and pleasure triggers in my life can I change? Which pain and pleasure triggers can I ban out of my life completely?
“While the past has shaped me, the way I choose to live my life today, tomorrow, and every day after, will determine who I am.”
You’re living anyway. Your actions are votes for an identity anyway. So you might as well do it intentionally.